In 1956 that building burnt down. Through the amazing efforts of the ANAF membership and the Ladies Auxiliary to keep the Charter strong, they were able to rebuild and reopen a new clubhouse in 1959.
Through the years ANAF Unit 284 has continued to support the community in which they live, through substantial donations to organizations such as George Derby Hospital, Variety Club Telethon, Richmond General Hospital, Steveston Community Centre, and the Japanese Language School to name but a few.
In July 2009, the Steveston 284 Seniors’ Housing Society was formed. Their mission is to provide and maintain a high standard of community integrated affordable, accessible, attainable non-profit housing in Richmond, BC. So this began the next chapter in ANAF Unit 284’s goal to meet the needs of veterans and the community.
Steveston 284 Seniors’ Housing Society undertook the management of the housing development and the construction of a much needed 144 unit Seniors Independent Living facility to be built in conjunction with the new ANAF clubhouse. This project is called “The Maple Residences”.
Steveston 284 Seniors’ Housing Society’s mission is to provide and maintain a high standard of community integrated affordable, accessible, attainable non-profit housing in Richmond, BC for low and moderate-income seniors. To achieve this mission, we strive . . . .
- To provide and maintain affordable and accessible non-profit housing, suitable to the needs of qualified tenants, in a safe and secure setting
- To work toward ensuring that non-profit housing is well integrated into the community
- To work toward a high standard of cost effective maintenance for non-profit buildings
- To encourage tenants to take an active part in maintaining and managing their non-profit housing and their living environment
- To facilitate tenant awareness of rights and responsibilities and awareness of support services and resources in the community
- To maintain community support and awareness of affordable housing
- To strive toward and maintain a high standard of administration to ensure it is efficient, cost-effective and operates with professional ethics, current business practices and within government legislation and policy.